HP laser printers

Thank you again, Robert, for your work on XySearch, a great addition to
this community since I last participated in 1999. The archives are really
an extraordinary font of information. Looking through them, I was struck
that there is probably better support for our superannuated software than
for most current products. A delicious irony--and testimony to a lot of
thought and time on the part of the participants.

A string of messages scattered across 2002 touched on PCL (Hewlett
Packard's printer language) and newer printers, and the general comments
lead me to believe that I can print with XyWrite from DOS to a new HP
LaserJet using the LJ 4 PRN drivers. Tim Baehr wrote that XyWrite works
fine with PCL 3 and up (HP is currently at PCL 6, it seems). I understand
that the LJ 4 drivers will give me 600 dpi, not 1200.

My old Toshiba PageLaser 6 (emulating the LaserJet II) has given up the
ghost after 12 years. I'm looking at the HP LaserJet 1300, which of
course costs a fraction of what a second-line laser printer cost me in
1991.

After reading the messages from last year on printer topics, I feel
reassured, but reassurance is necessary, since so far as HP's own
pamphlets on their products are concerned, nothing earlier than Windows 95
even exists. (DOS? What's that?) I like the idea of undocumented
compatibility, but I wouldn't mind hearing about recent experiences with
XyWrite and HP printers.

Cheers,
Carlo

Carlo Caballero
Asst. Prof. of Music
College of Music, Campus Box 301
The University of Colorado
Boulder, CO 80309

thyrsus@xxxxxxxx

"Dickens was little read, except by the public." --Maurice Baring, "The
Nineties"