Re: xywrite save on 2 discs ---> now 1 disc and 1 cd

** Reply to message from "Johan Carel van Haeften"  on
Mon, 24 Nov 2003 13:18:54 +0100

> My name is Carel van Haeften living in the Netherlands.

Hi there. I can answer a few of your questions:

> Q 1. ===
> Should I migrate to [post-v3.53] version and w[hich] one ?
> What's my profit? All my programming in xy (.pm) will that still work?
> Where can I get it? Legally? With manual?

Very complex and opinionated question! You can certainly migrate, without any
pain at all, to a later version of Xy3+. Some important things happened
between v3.54 and v3.56; the latter would be a good choice, probably. (I get a
little forgetful about some _loss_ of functionality, whether it happened with
v3.56 or v3.57 -- maybe somebody who still uses Xy3+ can discuss that.) Your
programming will all work. You can obtain it probably from some kind angel
here. It is "abandonware", so, no, technically it won't be legal, and you
won't get a manual -- but you already have the manual, and the likelihood that
anybody will reprimand you for obtaining it is close to nil. No new manual was
published with each revision of Xy3+ -- only a brief list of
changes/improvements. The profit is improvements to programming capabilities
(especially a very important "XS" string parser introduced in v3.54 and
enhanced in v3.55) and bug fixes.

As for later versions, Xy4 for DOS is much more powerful than Xy3+, but does
require some mental, and programming, adjustments. NotaBene for Windows is a
commercial product which has many strengths, and is currently at v7.0.

> Q 2. ?===
> I am reasonable happy with my 3.53 version, I can copy but
> regrettable not paste.
> Suspect there is no way to do that while running xy3.53 under DOS under
> WIN98/se. Is it?

Actually, there is an excellent way, if you have Xy3+ v3.55+; read this thread
for full information:

 http://users.datarealm.com/xywwweb/xysearch.cgi?xywrite/2003/msg02021.htm

That's a nice idea about backing up to rewritable CD. Are you using RSJ, or
what other software (that treats CD as a standard disk)?

Bye --

Robert Holmgren
holmgren@xxxxxxxx