Re: Off-topic: browser altenatives

On May 6, at 5:31 PM, Harry Binswanger wrote:
David wrote:
I use Firefox ...customize the behavior of tabbed browswing to a faretheewell,
Can I get something that will make it always open new pages in a tab, rather than sometimes launching a new iteration of the browser? The new instance occurs when a) I double click on a URL in an email, or b) sometimes a web page's link does it. Thanks, Harry
Yes. Oh, you want to know how? I actually think that there's a "native" preference that does that, but I use an extension called tab mix plus, which allows the setting of many aspects of tabbed browsing behavior. In particular, it allows you which kinds of links open a new tab vs. a new window vs. overwriting the current tab ('kinds of link' link on the address bar, bookmark link, link in a page (same site links treated differently than different-site links), etc. A standard option is the ctrl-click opens in a new tab. The brief answer, is, of course, yes. Tab mix plus also incorporates a session saver that offers to restore all the tabs and windows of your last/crashed/last but one/etc. session. Here's the homepage: http://tmp.garyr.net/ David Auerbach Department of Philosophy & Religion Box 8103 Raleigh, NC 27695-8103 http:// slowfoodusa.org auerbach@xxxxxxxx http:// slowfoodtriangle.org