Re: Word games

** Reply to message from Patricia M Godfrey  on Thu, 19 Dec
2002 09:37:26 -0500

> No, no, Wolfgang, it's OK (but thanks).

Yes, yes, Wolfie, thanks soooo much! You're so sweet! The
damsel in distress, and all that baloney. Ripped the wind
right out of my sails, you did.

You know, Patricia, I was sorely tempted to be mean about
all this fuss, but now ... well ... I still feel that way!

Patricia, _circa_ 1995:
>>>[Adobe Type Manager formerly] supported DOS downloads... but
>>>now it only appears to work with Windows (ugh) or OS/2
>>>(better, but still graphical and so bemeaning and
>>>unintuitable to a word person).

Me, 17 Dec 2002:
>> ... you utilize a non-existent, gerund-grindery form of "bemoan".

Patricia, sometime afterward:
> The verb I used is indeed "a valid word of the English
> language," the third of that spelling listed in the OED, and
> meaning "to render mean or base, to lower in dignity,
> abase"... Most people use "demean" in that sense, but
> recalling its connection with "demeanor," I prefer to use
> that word with the meaning "comport, behave."

Right! Me too -- always. Whenever I think "demean", I'm
sure to change the "d" to "b". You know,
I accept (never disputed) that "bemean" was a very popular
word back in the seventeenth century, used perhaps four
times altogether in the whole of English letters, mostly by
Dutch immigrants in Upper Anglia who thought it meant
"bemoeien"; and the fact that it hasn't crossed anyone's
mind or tongue for 150 years doesn't disallow it. But
"bemeanING" has NEVER been used -- not once, not ever,
except *possibly* in New Jersey -- not by Dr. Johnson, not
by anyone. It may be theoretically admissible, but you are
unique in the actual practice.

Which brings us to gerund-grinders. (Come on -- you looked
it up already, I know you did. Bloody Wolfie grrrr) They
who whet the gerund-stone, the "imaginary grindstone of a
gerund-grinder". She "who instructs in Latin grammar; a
pedantic teacher; pedantic instruction generally; a 'noisie
wrangling Sophist'". In Tristram Shandy, Sterne classifies
gerund-grinders with pedagogues and bear-leaders, which is
as low as it goes. Shame On You!

BUT, no, I won't be mean, my native grace and courtesie
insists that I shed hypocrisy to admit that Latin is,
without a shred of doubt, the single most important thing
that any Western person can learn -- flat-ass, no contest.
And, that I'm not very good at it. I blame it on the 50s --
sputnik and Progress -- a horrible time to be growing up.
I've needed calculus like a hole in the head. So I ensured
that my kids are genuine Latin whizzes and whizzas.

Much as I would enjoy to pursue this, I must drive up to
sub-Arctic Maine in 4 hours, so it's beddy bye for me.
Hats off.

Robert Holmgren
holmgren@xxxxxxxx