Re: Win 8 v. Win 7

Lisa,

Kari wrote:

the simplest thing is to get Win 7 Pro 32-bit version. For example, PC Connection has the following items: http://www.pcconnection.com/IPA/Shop/Product/Search.htm?CatId=202850&id=+4294056254&Sort=Availability&DefSort=Y&Term=
That's the solution I use. The 32-bit Win 7 is not that different from XP, and even has a few advantages. On the other hand, either XP or Win 7 32 is pretty easy on the Mac under Parallels. I used XP on the Mac that way for a couple of years. The only downside was: 1. speed for non-Xy programs under Parallels was slightly slow, but that's not an issue for using Xy, 2. it would often "lose" its settings for something like a printer, so I would have to a) realize that was the problem, and b) go to the (easily used) menu of Parallels to re-establish the right setting (a keyclick or two). If you decide to go the two-machines route, I would recommend connecting them by Dropbox, which is more reliable than a home LAN. Networking is always iffy, in my experience. In my setup, I have a Dropbox folder named _Xfr into which I put any file I want to have access to on both machines. (The name is short for "transfer" and the leading underscore makes it be first in the alphabetical display of Dropbox folders, for convenience.)