Smart Suite and reading Word files....

 I am using Xy 3.54 and 4 under OS/2, Warp, recently upgraded to
FixPack 35. A few months ago I bought the first version of Lotus
SmartSuite for OS/2. I did not do much with it, but my wife has told me
that the word processing program in it can translate and read files
written in Microsoft Word. That would be useful to me because I
sometimes get Word files as attachments to e-mail.

I don't use OS/2 or SmartSuite, but if the point is to get Word files
translated into XyWrite (e.g., 3.54), why not just use the W4W filters
standalone that Robert Holmgren has described?

See the XyWeb site at:

http://users.datarealm.com/xywwweb/

There's a reference there, I believe to

http://idt.net/`holmgren/FILTERS.HTM

That describes the filters and their use.

You could still pick up the filters you wanted (at least I did about a
month ago) at:

http://www.tgrp.com/Utils&Drivers/Xy3Drivers/

This may not work with files created with the most recent versions of
Word; the filters were built some time ago, and the list from Robert
notes the last Word filters are Word for Windows 6.0 and Word 5.5. But
you might try it-you'll also need the filter from XyWin to XyWrite 3.x
or XyWrite 4.the filter that takes 5.5 to XyWrite 3.x without a recent
copy of Word. Note that these filters can be executed from DOS (meaning,
you write a XyWrite program with a DO statement, and stick the program
in a saveget or in your keyboard file). You don't need XyWin or Word to
run them.

They word well for me going back and forth from Xy 3.55 to Word Perfect;
haven't tried the Word versions.

Peter Brown
Pbrown@xxxxxxxx