Re: Can v. 112 of Jumbo U2 Crash OS/2 ?

Steve Crutchfield wrote:

> If I were a betting person, I'd put my money on Scitech Display Drivers
> as the problem. The Trap E is the key - I have a laptop where the
> Scitech drivers routinely caused a Trap E, and I had to load other
> display drivers for eComStation to run reliably.
>
> I'd be very surprised if a Dos program running in a VDM would bring the
> entire system down. Although it would be a pain in the patootie to do,
> yo might want to backlevel your video drivers to VGA or to a non-GRADD
> video driver specific to your hardware and see if that solves the
> problem.

Steve, thanks much for your reply. Now that you mention it, isn't Trap E
one of the rarest traps for most users ? I don't recall ever seeing one
before . . . unless it was way back in the days when I had an ATI card in
this box. Their video installs were the pits ! Some of their cards /
drivers had serious problems with certain versions of PMMERGE.DLL, under
the wrong circumstances. When I put the Matrox G400 in a couple years ago,
it was a drastic improvement ! Maybe not the ultimate in performance, but
I'll trade a lot of _that_ for stability, any day.

Here's the kicker: I upgraded to the SDD Pro eval. on 7/19. For 2 or 3
weeks prior to that, I was running the free, non-Pro version of SDD that
came with ECS. I still had v. 110 of U2 at that point, but no crashes
either.

One of the tests I'd like to do is to see if / how I can backlevel to the
earlier SDD.

Jordan