Re: Netscape, XyWrite, and the Media

Thanks to all of you who posted on the Netscape/IE issue. I have never
had any crashes with Netscape or its e-mail program and have never had
to rely on them for tech support--but then again we have two great MIS
guys at the press.

As for the issue Judith raises about alt/shift/this/that doing something
different in Netscape and in Windows: to be honest with you--when I'm in
XyWrite I have all my alt keys and ctrl keys macros memorized and use
them constantly. When I'm not in XyWrite I mostly point and click. I
shamelessly admit that I haven't a clue as to what most of Gates's
hotkeys combos are for and generally hit them only by accident--most
often hitting ctrl when I meant to hit shift, causing something horrible
to happen.

Personally, my sentiments most closely match those of Walter Jowers, who
noted:

> I use XyWrite because it works, and the publishers I wrote for in the 80s
> used it. I use MS products because they work, and current customers and
> business contacts use them. We make our software decisions based on
> convenience and self-interest, not a political agenda. (We're running a
> micro-business. I wish we had the luxury to think about whether or not a
> piece of software dovetailed with our worldview.)

As someone who prefers results to ideological purity, I say to Walter,
and those who agree with him, on this: "amen brother!"

--
Leslie Bialler
Columbia University Press