A general strategy for retaining XyWrite in a non-DOS world

Carlo's mention of Boot Camp made me start thinking about booting into a
machine running XP or W2k. Maybe the future for us is to have a dedicated XP
(or Win2K) machine, and connect that machine to the modern one via network
or Dropbox.

Advantages: None of the slowdowns or configuration jiggering and
re-jiggering required for virtual machines. Low cost--zero, if you already
have such a machine in your closet.

Disadvantages: Networking is even flakier, flukier, funkier than virtual
machine settings; but then Dropbox is amazingly robust, transparent, fast.
And you can copy/paste by having clipboard.txt be in a folder that's inside
Dropbox (so that clipboard.txt resides on both machines all the time). I
already do the equivalent to copy and paste between my PC and my (old) Mac,
using Notepad on the PC and TextEdit on the Mac.

Eventually, parts will wear out--how long can we expect an old machine to
run? Aha, when you get your next computer, the Xy machine can be migrated to
the to-be-retired machine.

So the scheme is:

      Main            Legacy
Year  Machine   OS |  Machine  OS
2012:   A    XP    |
2013:   B   Win 7   |   A       XP
2015    C   Win 8   |   B       XP

To migrate the legacy software to the new machine, I would use my standalone
disk duplicator. That bypasses any issues of licensing. However, some
hardware-specific issues would arise, no? E.g., presumably the old drivers
wouldn't work in the new machine.

Comments?

BTW, here's the AutoHotkey macro for the PC side of copy and paste
(equivalents on the Mac under the much more onerous Quickeys). ! = alt ^ =
ctrl

!c::            ; Alt-c: copy a block & paste into HBCLIP.TXT,
which is also on the Mac via Dropbox
   Send ^c      ; copy the block
  run notepad c:\dropbox\_xfr\hbclip.txt   ; open HBCLIP.TXT with Notepad
  sleep 300    ; allow time for Notepad to open
  Send ^a^v    ; select all existing content, then paste in the new,
overwriting the existing content
  Sleep 300    ; allow time for paste
  Send ^s      ; save file
  Sleep 1500   ; allow 1.5 seconds for save and to see that the paste
went okay
  WinClose  Notepad
  Return

!v::          ; the inverse of !c. Copies what the Mac has put into
HBCLIP.TXT
  Run Notepad c:\dropbox\_xfr\hbclip.txt
  Sleep 300
  Send ^a^c
  Sleep 800
  WinClose Notepad
  Sleep 150    ; wait for Notepad to close
  Send ^v     ; paste into whatever app was active before launching
Notepad
  Return