Re: XyWrite II

On Sat, 3 Jul 1999, WooF wrote:

> Be Ye Warned that XyWrite had some "interesting" glitches -- the
> one I had most trouble with is that the program -- I assume in
> the interest of speed -- didn't check to see where a file is on a
> floppy each time one saved that file, but simply put it in the
> physical location it was before. If one swapped disks between
> saves without taking a directory after each swap, horrible things
> would happen.

I classify that more as a DOS bug-- the fact that directories on I/o
devices were not updated (or checked) before use. Oddly it was a
common problem well into the DOS 3 days, and for all I know, even now.
The thing is, putting data onto the floppy is clearly the operating
system's job-- you shouldn't expect the thousands of software packages
out there to have to provide their very own indidually written routines
for writing files.

So early XyWrite fell down in expecting sensible behavior from DOS.
Does this qualify as "bug" or not?

  ms44278@xxxxxxxx
  Mike Shupp
  California State University, Northridge