Re: DOS printing under VMware (v-DOS)

(or at least the yet-to-be-solved difficulty) of printing from DOS under
recent VMware, I got this reply:

If you want to run DOS (text mode) applications under Windows (32 or 64 bit).

Try the more direct and convenient way with vDos: https://sourceforge.net/projects/vdos/?source=navbar http://sourceforge.net/projects/vdos/

It won't take minutes to start a virtual XP with your application ready to start..

Less than a second, better experience and integration with the WIndows host.

Apparently this system has been created for the benefit of WordPerfect/DOS users, and I don't see why it shouldn't work with Xy4, though perhaps not in graphics mode. The reported speed sounds interesting, and the author seems to know all about TAME:

http://www.wpuniverse.com/vb/showthread.php?35978-vDos-a-new-system-for-running-WPDOS-under-Windows; eudora="autourl"> http://www.wpuniverse.com/vb/showthread.php?35978-vDos-a-new-system-for-running-WPDOS-under-Windows

I will definitely give this a try. And though I find that waiting for a VM to boot up is not onerous on recent fast hardware (a few seconds rather than a few minutes), it would be nice not to have go through the whole VM experience just for a DOS program.

One thing that is cheering about this is though we have the feeling that there are very few of us out there, there appears to be a substantial community of diehard WordPerfect DOS users, and what benefits them will presumably benefit us.