Re: hp printer woes

As I understand it, DOS programs *can't* print to Windows printers.

The old DOS printers, up to the hplj4, had fonts in ROM. All they needed
was the ASCII characters which they combined with the printer's ROM fonts.
But the windows printers require a bit map or something, which DOS programs
can't provide. Or maybe they have a default font.

I'm using my old dot matrix printer, and I haven't upgraded to a laser
printer because I'm worried that I'll have this problem. I assume that I'll
have to transfer files to a Windows program to print them. Of course I
could move to Xywin, but I have macros that I spent hundreds of hours
writing that I could never rewrite in a new program.

Is my understanding correct? Do modern printers accept ASCII input any more?

Norman

At 01:57 PM 4/28/00 EDT, Arthur Steinberg wrote:

>tim baehr says he needs arthur's printer model no:
>
>hp 722, running under win95. xydos is run in its own window, and i
>use the hp500 or hp560 printer driver that comes with xydos4.17.
>
>by and large, this printer won't recognize xy's fonts. it prints fine
>from wordpad or word or other windows applications, but does not like
>xydos. there it tends to print part of a page and then hang-up the whole
>computer.
>
>the hp 722 *will* print from xydos if i do not specify a font. then it
>simply prints in courier and does it alright. but i want to print
>using other fonts.
>
>harry b. suggested i reset the spooling settings, but
>that did not really help either.
>
>tim says he uses an hplj 6 running with the xy driver for hplj4. i
>also can run successfully on an hp laserjet with that driver. it's
>the desk-jet that's the problem for me.
>
>tia,
>
>arthur

Norman Bauman