cursor movement problem

Carl solved this problem for me several years ago (I believe) but I've
forgotten the steps. Can he (or anyone else) fix it again?

I have installed Xydos4.018 in a 633 mHz Celeron machine with 64 M of memory
and 20 G storage and the basic OS is Win 98 SE. First try (transferring from
old box, with CD drive disabled in the new one) had a lot of problems, so I
reinstalled from floppies, first 4.011, plus the 4.017 update. All seems to
work fine except:

When I use alt+right arrow (101 on my Xy 4-3 keyboard), the cursor jumps to
the next word OK but with an extraneous ascii character beside the arrow (06
[spade], e.g.). Vice-versa for left arrow. They keyboard table simply says
for that move, with no additional characters such as .