Re: AE* expand*

Harry Binswanger wrote:
You guys are aware, are you not, that the path to the Windows desktop is NOT:

c:\desktop

but something like:

C:\Documents and Settings\[Username]\Desktop
IN W2K and XP, yes, but didn't Fred tell us he was doing this on a Mac? Where it wouldn't even be c:\, but \\root\hd0 or something like that IIRC.

And in Vista, it's c:\Users\[username\desktop

And Users, like c:\Program Files before it, is one of those
folders that is M$ has booby-trapped.
DIR c:\Users
from the Xy CommandLine, yields 0 files.

DIRLFN c:\*.*
Does show \users, and if one CD's to that, and then reissues
dirlfn c:*.*
one gets the listing. But just dirlfn c:\users\*.* yields zilch and some error messages (File not found; Function requires an open file; Function requires ID and expression.)
IIRC, a few years back, someone (I think Mike Shupp) demonstrated
that c:\Program Files, which also exhibits anomalous behavior
under DOS commands, is actually two folders, both named Program
Files, one inside the other. Possibly that's the case with Users too.
On the other hand, Vista's normal behavior is to totally bar you
from even looking at the contents of c:\Users\MeMyself. I somehow
or other managed to wangle permission here on the laptop, but
cannot remember how so that I could do it again on the office's
new desktop.
--
Patricia M. Godfrey
priscamg@xxxxxxxx