Re: Icons in taskbar OT [TAME]

At 10:46 PM 12/22/2007, Wolfgang Bechstein wrote:
The time when I _did_ see the Xy icon
on the task bar was indeed when I was experimenting with TameDOS. I have
since completely discarded it (and good riddance). Tame does some
amazing things, but it's the most disorganized and badly supported
program I've seen in a while (the help link for the most recent version
still points to a completely outdated file on the web site), and it
strews its configuration files all over the place without rhyme or
reason.
This is more difinitum than defense. TAME puts its files in only two
places -- a folder/subfolders under Program Files and in a
folder/subfolder under My Docs. The file in MyDocs is, in effect, an
.ini file with all the settings the user creates from the GUI. The
main program folders in the TAME 5.1/6.0 directory are filled with
files that are, in effect, sample files filled with examples of
different settings. Granted, the documentation on the Web site is
lousy. You have to read his technical reference doc and FAQ's
closely, and you have do a lot of experimenting, trying this setting
or that until you discover a setting that controls the key repeat
rate and so forth. True, the tech support can be hit or miss -- it's
a one-man operation. But for twenty bucks it does what some of us
require -- allows you to run XY on XP in almost any font and in most
cases runs it smoothly. If it weren't for TAME, I'd be using NotaBene
now to create manuscript, not the word processor I've been using since 1983.

Michael Norman