Re: EOF markers in III+

** Reply to note from "James Woolley, Lafayette College"  Sun, 06 Apr 1997

[Re: copy myfile/a+bogus myfile/b ]

> Could I suggest "nul" instead of "bogus" as the filename?

By all means. Why not? It was my first instinct too. One of the many
nice un-sung features of Xy4 is that when you command "NE"w without a
filename, Xy opens an UNTITLED file, whereas under Xy3+ you always had to
"CALL NUL" to get a throwaway window.

My problem with NUL in the context of concatenation is that under real OS/2
the command fails, returning the error "System cannot open the device or
file specified". Under OS/2-DOS, it succeeds; but I prefer a command that
is opaque as to OS, so that I can shell indiscriminately to either OS (DOS
or OS/2) to execute the command, confident that it will work regardless.

Robert Holmgren
holmgren@xxxxxxxx