Re: XyWin & bug vs. feature

** Reply to note from "Bob Brody"  Thu, 16 Jan 1997 04:00:32 +0000

> On 16 Jan 97 at 2:10, Robert Holmgren wrote:

>> What, pray, is the difference between Xy4's Page-Line Mode and
>> Xy3+'s Draft [nonP-L] Mode (apart from a little horizontal line
>> marking page breaks)?

> If I'm working in draft view, take a wild guess which view I want
> to be working in? If I wanted to be switched into Page-Line with
> annoying page breaks all over the place, then *I'll* switch to it.

Fine, Bob. What does my program do except meet that need? My point is
rather different. I'm saying that what XyWrite involuntarily toggles
you into is *precisely* the mode you are *always* in with 3+. That,
therefore, it is ridiculous to make an argument (as some have) for 3-Plus's
superiority on account of this "bug". I'm saying further that 4 gives
you a mode which 3+ never offered (nobody _ever_ mentions that!).
The simple workaround which I offered in my program
ensures that you retain that mode regardless of EDITOR's desire to toggle
you out.

Robert Holmgren
holmgren@xxxxxxxx