U2 USAVE problem

Carl,
I was delighted to find the U2 routine USAVE that let's me make date-time-stamped backups of open files. However, putting it in my program causes some problems. I think it's overwriting my variables. I tried using HIDE/UNHIDE to cover the variables I saw, but apparently I'm missing something. My code is:

XPLeNCODE v2.0
b-gin [UNTITLED]
[JM_]2.HIDE01-10[Q2_][JM_]2.USAVE[Q2_][JM_]2.UNHIDE01-10[Q2_]
-nd
XPLeNCODE

Are there variables other than 01-10 that USAVE overwrites?
And if I may impose upon you a bit further, is there some way, without XyShell, to delete the USAVE-produced files that accumulate? I'd like to do something like:

DEL C:\0524*.*
but wildcards aren't allowed. I suppose I could do this via calling a .BAT file with the DOS command, but is there a more elegant way? (I'd actually like to be able to delete any USAVE files produced two days or more before the current date, but that's not essential.)

Thanks so much,
Harry

Harry Binswanger
hb@xxxxxxxx