Re: footnote placement

Carlo Caballero

>had wanted to comment on this message a fortnight ago...

>> Longer footnotes are more troublesome, but with two or three footnotes of
>> one or two lines each, things go astray. By contrast, Xy 3 is flawless.
. . .

When there's a change for the worse, as there was to the footnote aspect of
XyWrite, I tend to exaggerate the splendidness before the change. Was Xy3
really flawless? As I rack my brain, I remember a very, very occasional
oddity with footnotes. I don't think I had troubles of the kind that you
describe. Moreover, my footnoting was sometimes more copious and more
complex than what you describe: two sets (FN1 FN2) on a single page.

Your change was to lower the three (standard, maximum, minimum) values for
PL. They look as if they're for letter-size paper. (Incidentally, this is
almost unheard of here in Japan, but sometimes charmingly referred to as
*kokusai-ban*, literally "international size".) I was (and am still) using
the slightly longer A4. Maybe I was lucky to start off with slightly low
figures for PL.

However, I did have great problems with *endnotes* (i.e. "no footnotes" . .
. "dump footnotes").

Irrelevant PS #1: This Brit learnt somewhere that the excellent word
"fortnight" was a quaint Briticism that Americans would find
incomprehensible or amusing; but I see it more and more these days. #2:
Sorry! to have used the H word near the top of my message the other day.
Peter Evans