Re: Development and platforms (Win, NT, OS/2) and DOS

>	But it's too late for the development of FranklyWrite.
>	Still they might investigate the possibility.

I may be too late for *development*. It is not too late for porting.

>	Yes, OS/2 is powerful, and if you read Information Week,
>	it is a product of the year and all that. But OS/2 is
>	compatible with the greater Win3.1 market, DOS market,
>	so why bother.

I don't understand what you mean by "compatible".  Yes, OS/2 can run
Windows programs, but any Windows or DOS program has built-in limitations.
"Why bother" ? Because OS/2 has so much more to offer a word processor.
Anyone who's tinkered with that OS knows what the possibilities would be.
XyWrite could be offered in both text-based and PM (Presentation Manager
based versions. If you think DOS-based XyWrite is fast, imagine its power
under OS/2!

>	TTG does want to sell their expensive product, not
>	develop it for 'fun'.  Law offices, a significant
>	target, can write off the cost and have no loyalty to
>	any platform, as you may have.

Please do not try to condescend. I have seen very little "development" of
XyWrite by TTG. In fact, I have gone back to my pre-TTG version because it
works better. Xy Windows was a dog. Law offices *and* myself will
purchase what works best. My "loyalty" is to products that perform
according to my needs.

XyWrite will always be a niche product. An OS/2 port would only help TTG
maintain that niche.

>	I can see TTG putting out more utility, and you can run
>	it under OS/2, but they know their present dull customers
>	and these grey customers are sticking with Win3.1

"Utility" I will wait to see. (I've been waiting about 3 years). Running
a windows app under OS/2 is like driving a race car with a 20 MPH governor
(and that's the fault of the Windows app, not OS/2). I wouldn't count on
law firms sticking with 3.1 more than another 6 months, on the average.
They'll switch to a server-OS because it makes sense for a typical law
firm.

Peter Feldmann		*	Blue Dalmatian Productions
P.O. Box 902		*	Santa Barbara CA 93102
feldmann@xxxxxxxx