Re: Signalling Off-topic posts

Reply to note from Eric Van Tassel <101233.342@xxxxxxxx> Tue,
2 Dec 97 12:34:33 +0000

-> What does "OJC" stand for? Off-topic Jesuitically Condoned? :-)

Why, , of course. Returns 1 if off-topic, else 0.

-> But seriously, folks, I'd prefer to encourage a fresh Subject
-> line for any post that isn't a direct reply; and "(was: ..."
-> can help if it's appropriately used.

My modest proposal would encourage that practice, at least in
replies to posts tagged as off-topic.

-> And I confess that (like tbaehr, if I interpret his latest
-> correctly) I find the posts to the XyWrite list both so helpful
-> and so civil that I virtually never delete any of them unread.

Under my proposal, no one need ever filter out anything. That's one
of the beauty parts. All posts remain accessible to anyone who
cares to read them. It's a voluntary system, use being entirely up
to the reader who chooses to turn on the filter, and the poster who
opts for the tag in lieu of suffering electronic scowls.
Conversely, there would no longer be any excuse for heaping
oppropbrium on posters who veer off-topic, if the tag is used.

Carl Distefano
CLDistefano@xxxxxxxx
http://users.datarealm.com/xywwweb/