Dynamic Data Exchange (DDE)

I am interested in using the DDE feature of XyWrite. In searching the
listsrv archives, I find only one fragment from David Firestone in 5/94

 " DDE support. This is one of Xywin's best features, and I use
it all the time. I work in a bureau at the paper, and when I
finish a story and am ready to send it to the main office, all
I have to do is click on a button on the icon bar. From then
on, everything is fully automated. It runs a little program I
wrote that sends a DDE command to ProComm for Windows, running
in the background, which then dials the main office computer
and sends whatever story I have up on the XyWin screen. Once it
receives an acknowledgement it hangs up and returns to Xywrite.
I have similar automated procedures for calling up the wires
and running other programs using DDE."

Have others been using it?
What is the best source of documentation?
What problems should I be aware of?

Thanks
Steve Shaw
sshaw@xxxxxxxx