Re: Playing with LaTeX

Wow, that's very impressive, Carl! I've often wished that XyWrite's
search and replace functionality was better.

Thanks!
Martin

On 28/01/2016 10:43 PM, Carl Distefano wrote:
I've been playing with the LaTeX document preparation system since the turn of the New Year. LaTeX source files are plain-text markup, so creating and editing them in XyWrite is natural. As an exercise, I decided to translate the documentation for a regular expression search- and-replace utility that I've been developing for Harry B. into a LaTeX document. The result is here: http://users.datarealm.com/ammaze/xfer/RCI.PDF At first I was dubious that this would be a suitable vehicle for Xy- related documentation, but in fact the output is quite readable and printable, with the professional look that is LaTeX's hallmark. Well, that's my biased view, anyway; I welcome your candid reactions. The software package described in the document seems stable and, if I do say so, exceptionally useful. Harry wanted to do search-and-replace operations involving intricate changes and moving around big blocks of text, and XyWrite's SEarch wildcards weren't up to the task. Regular expressions proved to be just the ticket. The package includes U2 routines for XyWrite 4 and standalone Windows executables that work well with any version of XyWrite or Nota Bene. There's a download link and instructions in the PDF file if you'd like to try it.
-- Martin J. Osborne http://www.economics.utoronto.ca/osborne