Re: W98 memory settings

** Reply to message from michael.norman@xxxxxxxx on Mon, 13 Jan 2003 15:54:28
-0500

> In a post a few months back, RH recommended the following memory settings
> for pifs in W2000/XP and I wonder if they are the same for W98.
>
> Conventional: Auto
> Expanded: 5120
> Extended: None
> MS-Dos: Auto
> Initial: Auto

I think the general principles apply across the board, in every OpSys. What
you label "MS-Dos" is really DPMI: that should be "None", but Windows doesn't
offer a zero setting, so... Auto has to suffice. Extended is None. Expanded
needs some overhead beyond the 4096 that spellers and DLG|HLP|U2 grab, I've
proven that with tests, so 5120 is generous. Conventional could be set to 640.
That might be preferable to Auto. XyWrite expects to see 640, so maybe it
would be best to set it aside. It may not make any difference, but... why not?
Its not as if memory is in short supply. Initial is really a value that would
to enlarge the Environment. XyWrite does not, to my knowledge, set any
environmental variables at all. But I wouldn't bet my life on it. So Auto is
prudent.

Robert Holmgren
holmgren@xxxxxxxx