Re: New XPL Instruction Manual at XyWWWeb

** Reply to message from J R FOX  on Tue, 24 Jan 2006
11:07:59 -0800 (PST)

> I'd be somewhat curious to know who wrote that
> Wikipedia monograph describing XPL as "rebarbative."

"Hoary" introduced that word -- I'm 99.9% positive that's Peter Evans (remember
him?). Many people do find XPL to be "prickly", although I attribute that more
to its being sui generis -- unlike any other commonly-used language -- and not
because it is inherently difficult. Because it isn't. It's incredibly
logical, and quite simple really. I mean, how many "commands" are there
anyway? A dozen? How many different techniques? Two dozen? How many
variables? Lots and lots! There can NEVER be too many variables -- not in any
language -- they're the source of information and current status!

Robert Holmgren
holmgren@xxxxxxxx