Re: `invalid formatting' msgs / Speller

Thanks to Annie and Robert for the various points of information about the
EOF character and ways to keep it in line (or rather, out). I also am
glad to know about d bi=1, since I sometimes would like to open a XY4 file
when I happen to be in XY3, and that "lurchy" behavior is so irritating.

Thanks also for the adjective "lurchy," which is new to me. I'm looking
forward to using it as much as possible, though preferably away from the
computer screen.

On another note, Tim Baehr said,

> Someone back in the Xyquest days (Tom Dunn perhaps) tweaked the way XyWrite
> uses the Microlytics stuff. Someone told me Tom was responsible for the fact
> that the first spelling alternative to most misspelled or mistyped words is
> the one you wanted in the first place.

It's true--and I'd taken it for granted for all these years. When you
think about how crudely most computer tools treat language, the efficiency
of XyWrite's speller is something to be very grateful for. Hats off to Mr
Dunn, or whoever it was who did the tweaking...

As an instance of the "crude treatment" of language, I'll mention
that a colleague using Word recently found that its speller, when faced
with the composer Gabriel Fauré, offered to replace his name with "Gerbil
Fair." I think we can forgive MS Word the surname, but Gabriel...?

I'm not making this up.

Cheers,
Carlo Caballero