Re: vDos and microlytics speller

Carl & Paul

The UK dictionary runs fine on my vDosXy setup - see below.

I am another low profile user group subscriber who who still uses Xy4 regularly to create tutorial material for my students. In the past I produced the South African Journal of Economic History with it for about 20 years.

It is the non-eye straining, full DOS screen, customized to white text on black and the pure word power that has kept me with Xy4 over the years. Apart from that, I started wordprocessing with Atex at the newspaper I started working for in 1980.

The University moved from WinXP to Win7 at the beginning of 2014 so I have been following the Virtual and vDOS workarounds with interest.

I haven't changed much in the factory issue vDOS setup but I see that EMS=ON in config.txt.

When I execute MEM in Xy4 there is no Dictionary expanded mem entry but main mem=5K, Spell=4 and Hyphenation=14. XyWrite=634K.

These are the dictionary entries in my settings.dfl file:

;Turn on Signature UK dic/disable XYWrite US dic
DF LX=c:\xy4\
DF UD=UK
;DF UD=AFRIKAAN
;DF OM=0 previously working setting
DF OM=0
;
;Test: 2003 Holmgrem suggestion
;DF OM=31
;DF ZX=1
;DF OM=15
;om = 15 to activate Signature's dictionary's hyphenation but use Microlytics dictionary for spelling
;End of Signature dictionary settings
;
;Preserve upper and lower case in spelling commands, e.g. Auto-Expand
; (`Zero Capitalization')
df zc=1

The dictionary file is UK.DIC (622K 1991/08/13)

Regards
Jon Inggs