SAVE-GETS

NS-> Nathan Sivin:

NS-> Is the point that you don't _want_ to use the dialogs? Considering
 -> their additional functionality, you can have the best of both worlds
 -> simply by making a new XY4 keyboard file and copying into it all the
 -> XY3 assignments that you want to maintain, using the free keys for XY4
 -> functions allocated as you want.
 -> --

Nathan,

I could come up with a long-winded theory in favor of not using
the dialogs in DOS, but the short answer is that there is
literally no room in my keyboard file. At one point I went rather
wild, subdivided tables that had joint attributes (such as
Ctrl+Alt and Shift+Alt), and added new tables (the alternate
program keys and upper-ASCII characters) and shifting keys.

It is a very packed keyboard file.

Remember that before the pfun (3.55) or pfunc (4) in programming
you had to have every function call attached to the keyboard
file. So I attached just about everything.

And it is because XPL is so amazing, I already had in place a
good deal of the functionality of Xy 4 by 1988, such as various
wild search and replaces. But there's no way around the memory
limitation of 3+.

Surprisingly enough, my keyboard file works in Xy 4 though with a
few exceptions, such as the save-get list. It did lock in Xywin
from about the first keystroke though.

I keep telling myself I should rewrite the keyboard to make it
more efficient in terms of what I use most often.

--Chet
---
 ? SLMR 2.1a ? Art + write + dtp = chet.gottfried@xxxxxxxx