Re: jerry and jury

I'm late to the dance on this. The origins of "jury-rig" are almost certainly nautical, as explained nicely here:

http://www.nationmaster.com/encyclopedia/Jury-rig

And jerry-rig is what Sylvia Wright would might have called a "mondegreen:"

I love this language (and a few others). I had a professor once who suggested to us strongly that if we didn't get a little excited by the sense and nonsense of language, we should consider being something other than writers and editors.

Jeff

Listen to 350+ music, sports, & news radio stations FREE while you browse.http://toolbar.aol.com/aolradio/download.html?ncid=emlweusdown00000022!