Re: Cause of Xy4 problem

Reply to note from "Morris Krok"  Thu, 20 Dec
2001 02:59:09 -0800

> Here is an encoded version of the garbage that collects at an
> end of a file.

That particular garbage is called Document Information. As others
have pointed out, you can prevent it from being appended to files by
setting default IO to 0. To remove Doc Info already appended to a
file, CAll the file, issue ZAP26, then ABort the file.

This is not the kind of garbage I was thinking of in my earlier
reply. What I had in mind was random-looking binary junk that shows
up after the EOF -- I suppose due to some memory-management hiccup
or other -- and can grow quite large. It's a rare occurrence. Come
to think of it, ZAP26 should take care of that, too.

--
Carl Distefano
cld@xxxxxxxx