Re: RE Which Computer

Robert Holmgren wrote:
**not** about "USB drivers", it is about the USB BIOS!! A much narrower issue than you suggest, and two very different beasts. The USB BIOS is what allows you to BOOT an operating system from a USB device, such as a USB CD or a memory key or diskette.
Aha! Now I see. Sorry. I NEVER boot from a USB device, so that's always
disabled in my BIOS. And so it never occurred to me that that was what
you were talking about.

≪The reason dBase and XyWrite occupy the same memory addresses in a MEM
report is that they are running in different VDMs. The first
executable would always launch at the same memory address in any VDM,
assuming identical CONFIG & AUTOEXEC.≫
Huh? Sorry, I cannot follow that. Can you recommend a good source that explains all this in detail? (e.g., if there are two VDMs, are they using the same block of "lower" 640 K RAM? Interleaving it, maybe? What CONFIG.SYS and AUTOEXEC.BAT? Win 98 has neither; well, there are files of that name, but they're empty, and my reference book, Livingston & Staub's Windows 98 Secrets, says you don't need them unless you have DOS apps that cannot run in Windows DOS sessions or are running real-mode drivers. Or do you mean that VDMs are legal fictions, but EMS isn't?).

Patricia M. Godfrey