Xy4 in Win7-64

I'm running Xy4 in Win7-32 and that's fine. When I move to my two
Win7-64 machines, there's a problem. I'm just running absolutely
vanilla XP emulation as supplied by MS. No changes whatever. My
problem is that I find it ever so sluggish in getting characters onto
the screen. There's isn't that instantaneousness I expect. These are
both high-performing laptops. What can I do about this? You'd think
an i-7 processor could run Xy4 fast, wouldn't you?