Re: Leaving XP for Windows 7 at last

I'd put in another vote for vDosxy3 or the current vDos lfn version, noting that the latest versions of either, at least on my xy3+ setup, are substantially faster than the earlier version Carl found more stable for Xy4, but with equal or better stability.   Again, this is for xy3+ only; can't speak to xy4.

There are also significant advantages to running the vDos family compared to running xy3+ in XP:  adjustable lines per page, adjustable display typefaces and lines per page for aging eyes, a wide array of adjustable text and background colors not possible in DOS, easy exchanges with Windows clipboard, etc.  And there's no reason to avoid a 64-bit OS.

Note that any version of xy3+/vDos may run acceptably slow on an XP-era machine, so if it you try it now, there may be disappointment.

From: Carl Distefano
To: xywrite@xxxxxxxx
Sent: Wednesday, November 4, 2015 6:07 PM
Subject: Re: Leaving XP for Windows 7 at last

Quoting Phillip Alder:

> Lynn,
>
> If you put Windows XP in a virtual machine on your computer, you can
> have the XP running XyWrite and 7 controlling everything else.

I was very happy running XyWrite in a W2K virtual machine under
Windows 7 (via VirtualBox). I switched to vDosXy when it came along
because it does a great job of integrating our ancient program with
current versions of Windows.

Lynn, if you're more interested in running Xy as a freestanding
program (as opposed to having it interact with Windows programs), I
would give serious consideration to running XyWrite in a virtual
machine. On the other hand, vDosXy is so easy to set up, and works so
well, that you can hardly lose by trying it. As to which version works
best, I don't know that there's a consensus, but the one I find most
stable is Kari's version 1.00:

vDosXy version 1.00 (aka version 2014-12-16)
How to tell it apart: size 368 KB, has the following config.txt
a blinking cursor)
Source files:
https://github.com/catastrophicanomaly/vDosXY3/releases/tag/vdos20141019_mod20141216

For what it's worth, I find Windows 7 very satisfactory. It's stable
and does what you want an operating system to do: it just works.

--
Carl Distefano
mailto:cld@xxxxxxxx