Re: Seamless XyWrite/Win7-64/XP mode

--- On Thu, 1/3/13, Harry Binswanger  wrote:

> From: Harry Binswanger
> Subject: Re: Seamless XyWrite/Win7-64/XP mode
> To: xywrite@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
> Date: Thursday, January 3, 2013, 9:15 AM
> I think I've finally got it. What I
> did was this:
>
> 1. While in the full virtual machine, get everything
> configured using the Tame console GUI.
>
> 2. Only when satisfied with how everything looks, using
> Windows Explorer copy the shortcut to the virtual's
> machine's All Users/Start Menu/Applications (I think I have
> that path right, but whatever it is that makes it "publish"
> to the host machine's All Programs/Windows XP Mode/Windows
> XP Mode Applications)
>
> 3. Right click on the Xy4 shortcut and Send to Desktop (of
> the host Win 7 machine) as a shortcut.
>
> 4. If desired, drag the resulting desktop shortcut to the
> Quick Launch area.
>
> I think that's all I did. And when I launch from the Quick
> Launch area, the resulting Xy4 is correct. If you then
> left-click on the Xy4 icon at the left of the window title
> bar, and pick User Preference Files/Browse User Preference
> Files, it will show you a window with a SavedOptions folder,
> inside of which is XyWrite[or Editor or
> whatever].pif.view.tam, and that's the operative one.
>
> Whew!
>
> Thanks, belatedly, to Jordan.
>
> --Harry

Uhm, what did I contribute ? I'm just on the sidelines, trying to
follow this thread . . . and not succeeding terribly well at doing
that. (I'm not sure I grasp the operational mechanics separating
this XP Mode from the so-called seamless variant.)

Also, the discussion seems to suggest that one of these does _not_
involve a VM of some sort, which I don't think is likely correct.
Whether it's a distinct external program, or an MS-supplied add-on
module, I suspect you must *still* be dealing with a VM.

Maybe if you could draw a diagram for me, even a simplified one.
Or point to one such already on the web.

I've been trying to cope with several learning curves lately --
most recently some 'Wireless 101' (getting wireless printing going
on two AIO devices, mostly with remote aid from a consultant), and
before that with some video apps. I haven't quite gotten to this
VM for Xy yet -- even though I'm now running Win-7 on a couple rigs --
but it will be coming up on my 'To Do' List.

 Jordan