Re: openoffice & xywrite?

** Reply to message from Harmon Seaver  on
Sat, 11 Aug 2007 19:47:14 -0500

> Also the older IBM thinkpads
> (what I have) seem to have a serious battery problem, in that not
> discharging the battery all the way before recharging shortens battery
> life immensely. So by using dos, I can drain the battery literally dead,
> something neither linux nor windoze will let you do, they always have to
> shut themselves down long before the battery is actually drained. Before
> I thought of running dos this way, I was resorting to letting the laptop
> sit in the bios setup to do the final battery drain.

That's very interesting! Where did you learn that? I have a
slew of Tpads of various ages, back to a T23 (still my primary
machine). I realize that different classes of batteries have
different habits, but my own habit -- whether a vehicle or a
computer -- is to not let the charge slip below 50%. I know for
certain that in a wet cell, e.g. a golf cart or ATV-type
battery, if you let it drop below 50% you're just driving a nail
into its coffin (and those are very expensive batteries, @ about
$700/set). If you never let the charge go below 50%, they will
last maybe 6 years, otherwise you only get 1-2 years. Are
lithium batteries dramatically different?

> that black page waiting to be filled

Very seductive, very quiet. That's why I still use VGA full
screen. No distractions.

>  I've found myself wasting inordinate amounts of time

It's incredible, isn't it? Not healthy. I generally have to go
on computer detox for a few months every year -- just stay away
from the screen. I find there's a lot more hours in the day.

Robert Holmgren
holmgren@xxxxxxxx