Re: Backup software

That's very interesting Edward, and inclines me to look into this product further.  I would assume that SP has its own proprietary archiving format, because all the other imagers I have seen do.  Prior to this 2017 edition of TI, the only solutions that claimed to be able to do this complete relocation trick were Laplink PCMover (rather mixed reviews, and you needed a license for both the source & target machines), DiskImage, and one other I'm that blanking on at the moment.

When I said "complete transfer" I meant everything, and  no need  to call MS to enable re-authenticating your Windows.

   JF

From: Edward Mendelson
To: xywrite@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Sent: Thursday, May 18, 2017 5:26 AM
Subject: Re: Backup software

About the ability to restore to completely different hardware: ShadowProtect Desktop has had that feature for years. It’s called “Hardware Independent Restore”, and requires only that you check a single checkbox when restoring.

I’ve used it with complete success when upgrading to a completely different computer (different chipset, different  CPU, different network hardware, etc., etc.). It works by stripping out the references in the registry to the chipset, etc., drivers so that Windows installs the ones appropriate to your new hardware instead of trying to load the old ones and locking up or refusing to boot.

It’s one reason I’ve always used ShadowProtect Desktop. If I have complete hardware failure, and I can’t get the same computer I bought three years ago, I can use Hardware Independent Restore and be working again in less than an hour.