Re: Diacritics in XW for E-Mail

At 10:30 AM 6/26/01 -0700, Daniel Say wrote:
>	But under spelling reform invoked last year
>	the double-s as you call it is no longer to
>	be used.

Commonly believed, but not true. The new orthography only changed the rules
for the use of the sz. It is still there, however.

>	Quite a controversy and some publishers, notably
>	a few newspapers are abandoning the new rules.

Only the Frankfurter Allgemeine and the German University Association,
afaik. Wish there were more.
The worst is that since the new rules are so inconsistent and still being
changed, most papers have adopted their own internal style sheets, so what
you see is a wild hodgepodge of spelling, instead of the clarity that we
had before.
Dyslexics should be happy, however.

-- Rene von Rentzell, Tokyo
-- "Whenever people agree with me, I always feel I must be wrong." (Oscar
Wilde)