Xy4 and U2 on a 286

OK, I know I am an idiot for wringing the last electron out of this old
laptop, but here is my problem:

Running Xy4 in MS-DOS 5 on a 286, 4MB RAM, I've done just great for quite a
while. A little slow to load XyWrite, but tolerable because editing within
XyWrite is so fast and easy for me. BUT ...

Since updating to the latest XYWWWEB.U2 version 99, there is a marked
slowdown in calling up the U2 index. Has the new one grown so much, or ...
what?

This slowdown is no problem, though just noticeable, on a Pentium III-class
computer running Win98 with 64MB of RAM. Once loaded on either platform,
everything functions fine. Any ideas?

And on a related subject, is it possible to carve out or excise the sections
I don't need, such as the OS/2-specific programming? Or would I be playing
with fire to try such a thing?

Jeff