Re: Win95, Orbis

Nathan Sivin wrote:
 >The industry standard for textbases is AskSam. There are DOS and
>Windows versions available. I have found it so satisfactory for years
>that I was never tempted by Orbis.

   While AskSam is certainly an industry standard, there are
risks of corruption of the field structure (and consequently the
entire database), if you do any tagging. Some caution (and lots
of backup files) are in order.

   Actually, the best existing similar product is XyIndex, a
rather costly route, but extremely powerful. You might also look into
FolioViews or just the old Microlytics Gofer, if you can find a copy.
Also, Magellan, the Lotus orphan, will allow you to search great
gobs of files, view them in many different formats, "gather"
text that looks promising, and save or append it to a file.
Should be cheap if you can find a copy.

Dorothy Day, Indiana University SLIS day@xxxxxxxx