xy to Word

I've been trying to convert a XYdos article into Word, and keep
achieving a string of boxes.
As usual, I hit file/save As in XYdos. When the box appeared, I
saved as c:\giants\gijan06.doc, chose Microsoft Word 5.0, 5.5 as
format, hit enter and it didn't work.
I may be doing something wrong, or something may have happened to
my filters as I transferred them from an old computer to the new
computer. Or the new computer just doesn't like them. Or the old
computer, which had begun eating things, took a taste of the
filters between the last time I used them, and my transferring
them to the new machine.
Anyway, I'm using XYdos4.18 with XPHome with service pack 2 on a
Thinkpad R50.
If anyone can point me in the right direction to begin solving
this, I'd appreciate it.

Judith Davidsen