virus warning

Here's a note I got the other day from my consultant.

2. There is a very bad 'Security' virus in the wild. do not at anytime say yes to something that
pretends to be a Microsoft Security thing. If it starts scanning and telling you that you have piles
of viruses: immediately turn off your PC, reboot in safe mode, read the screens and follow the one
that gets to you 'restore points'(that should be the one that has a yes and no answers, chose no)
and go back to an earlier configuration by about a week.
This is an easy and so far effective method of getting out of the mess.

An important note here: all the legal stuff about this fix not being guaranteed apply to this fix.
It may not work. If the virus is imbedded too far, it won't. I have had to replace about 4 hard
drives in the last while because of this virus.

3. If you are using AVG Free, think about changing. I am moving back to F-Prot. It is from Iceland,
it is cheap (about $50 a year for a 5 user commercial license) and it is what I use when I am in
serious virus trouble. It is not invincible of course, nothing is. And it is not free. It does have
a 30 day trial.

and a note I sent to him (after my wife got the virus)

Something for your blog. You know that Caroline got the virus you warned about, and that your friend
fixed it.

Yesterday I got a phone call from someone who said he worked for the 'repair zone' which, he said,
was a part of microsoft. He had an East Indian accent, and he knew we had got the virus, and he
offered to fix it.

I wonder how he knew we had the virus? He got embarrassed when I suggested that he had sent it.

another friend got the virus and shut down in time.

andy turnbull