Re: Subject: Re: pdf2xy routine

Reply to message from Robert Holmgren  on Thu, 13
Jan 2005 15:30:29 -0500
≪ I don't understand what you're driving at. Look, I'm just striving
for clarity and simplicity. Not "I'd been typing
d: even though the file was in d:" I just scratch my head at stuff like
that -- no idea what it means.≫

No, no, I understand that you must clarify what I'm doing or someone will
get even more confused. There is method in my madness, but part of it is
simply habits to try to keep things clear in my own mind and also
leftovers from older DOS apps that required that things be done a certain
way. For the record, the directory with EDITOR.EXE is on drive d: and I
CD to that drive and log onto it before starting XyWrite (DOS batch file
commands
D:
cd D:\xyw4dos
editor)

Then, within XyWrite, I command cd e:\working directory
where e: is my data drive and "working directory" is wherever the various
items I am writing or have written are stored. Sometimes (often), of
course, "working directory" is a deeply nested path like this: cd
e:\gram&ced\cse2004\handout.

The I usually get a directory of e: and call files by pointing. Or I may
know I'm going to start something new there and just command New
e:review1.xyt

Since I'm logged onto d:\xyw4dos, of course I don't need to specify d:
before a file on that drive and directory. But somehow or other I got
into the bad habit of doing so. Will make strenuous efforts to reform.

All this is not, of course, directly relevant to the pdf2xy problem,
which I'm beginning to fear is caused by... well, the company we all love
to hate. Has anyone else running 98 SE been able to get it to work? If
not, that's a dead giveaway. If so, then my system is definitely to
blame. Either way, I will continue debugging and report back.

Patricia M. Godfrey
PMGodfrey@xxxxxxxx