Re: Xy memory issues

Reply to note from "J. R. Fox"  Thu, 06 Sep 2001
12:53:39 -0800

> A couple of memory related questions:
>
> 1. Back in Xy-3, I used to be able to go to the "what's loaded
> into memory screen" (can't recall the proper name for this, but
> it was accessed via CTRL-M, which may or may not have been the
> factory assignment), see what was loaded and how much memory
> each item was taking up under Xy, and selectively unload
> whatever I wished. I never learned how to do this in Xy-4, and
> indeed the memory display screen looks to be an info display
> only. I could not find a category for Keyboard listed there,
> in any case. Is there some way to do this in v. 4 ?

The Xy3 memory screen was summoned with func ME. The same func ME
also calls up the Xy4 memory screen, but it requires that a Help
frame named {{C,0m}} be present in a loaded DiaLoG (.DLG) Help file.
A weird design choice, IMO, but there you have it. If you load the
factory-issued XY4.DLG, you have this frame. (By the way, you can
move or copy {{C,0m}} to U2, rename it to something more friendly,
say {{Cmem}}, and call it up with MEM.)

As you indicate, the memory screen can't be used to unload one or
another module, as it could in 3. Xy4 dynamically swaps memory in
response to user demand, so in theory a manual memory-clearing
option is no longer necessary -- though it still would have been
nice to have.

The keyboard file is definitely a weak link, though. In my
experience, if you LOAD and reLOAD even substantially the same .KBD
file repeatedly, the out-of-mem message eventually appears. There's
no clear connection with Save/Get or other memory usage -- at least,
the connection isn't clear to me. My .SGT file is 170 bytes small
and I still get it. It's a bug.

> 2. Is there some way to give Xy 4.018 all the mem. in its
> session that it can possibly make use of ? ... If possible, I
> would like to make the proper changes to the settings in OS/2
> for Xy's DOS session, and any equivalent changes under NT.

Don't have NT handy but, FWIW, here are my DOS memory settings in
Warp 4. I get 640K per session, with about 400K available after I
load Xy4.

s=DCF
i=XyWrite - Settings
p=DOS_HIGH