(OT) RE: bad excuse but inquiry

I would like the advice of people here who use XyWrite DOS what laptop would
you recommend. I've been wanting to venture to switch to a MAC.

Mimi,
I am by no means an expert on XyWrite as other on list - I am an advanced computer user with backgrounds in DOS, Win (3.1 thru XP), and Mac OS (6.0 thru OS X 10.3). I've used Virtual PC (VPC) ver 3.0 thru 6.0 - so here's my thoughts concerning your questions.
I've gleaned some messages recently about people who have successfully been able
to run XyDos on a MAC.
I operate Xy3+ on my MAC PowerBook G4 800 MHz, 1 GB RAM using VPC 6.0
booting into Win 98 SE. I find Win 98 to run very quick and nimble with
this configuration.
As such, I know Mac is a viable option. At this point Apple has been
releasing new Mac G5 desktop machines so G5 PowerBooks may not be far
behind. Also in the not too distant future Apple will release Mac OS
10.4 "Tiger" - You may want to wait on a Mac purchase if you can. But
since Apple like Dell, IBM, GateWay, and MicroSoft are always coming
out with "new" stuff if you can't or don't want to wait it not a big
deal because OS X 10.3 is a solid OS and a G4 processor is plenty of
punch to run VPC. My advice go with the fastest CPU and more
importantly Maximum RAM.
The good news since I purchased mine a couple of years ago is; (1)
faster CPU and lower price on G4 laptops (2) More RAM capability (3)
even more stability with Mac OS which was already solid (4) hinge and
paint - two nagging hardware issues with the original G4 PowerBook line
were corrected over a year ago with changing the placement of hinges
and using aluminum rather than titanium for the case causing paint
issues - The current line of lower price iBooks are an even better deal
which I would probably go with - especially since moving away from the
late 90's "neon fruity toliet seat design" - what were they thinking?
enough said -
Mac notebook computers are not cheap - but historically have not need
replaced as quickly as compared with similar priced Win notebook
computers.
A nice 14" iBook 1.2 GHz CPU with maximum RAM 1.256 GB is going to cost
about $1,900 and up
A top of the line 15" PowerBook 1.5 GHz CPU with maximum RAM of 2 GB is
going to set you back $3,000+
added hardware options like 60 GB hard drive, recordable DVD drives
etc. are going to push price up -
Take into account also that you will probably have other software
purchases as you switch platforms from Win to Mac.
If MAC is a viable option, would it entail purchasing "Virtual PC" program?
Yes, the purchase of any Mac will necessitate the purchase of VPC $129
(now owned by Microsoft). VPC version 7.0 is also soon to be released
according to MS. If you have a legal copy of Windows OS or even DOS
you have not needed to purchase the complete VPC package. VPC has come
as stand alone and as a more expensive version bundled with a DOS or
Windows OS. Currently MicroSoft's Macintosh software site
www.mactopia.com lists pre-order for VPC 7.0 packaged with Win XP Pro
at $249.
My final suggestions: - If you live where you can visit an Apple store
or a CompUSA with an Apple section - go visit - The sales staff at
both will let you play with the machines - In my experience they are
not "pushie" especially at Apple store -
If you do decide on getting an iBook or PowerBook and load Virtual PC -
if you don't need Windows XP to run XP specific programs - I would
suggest loading Windows 98 SE - I believe you will find in the end that
you have a very fast multi-platform OS machine - That has been my
experience - I run three platforms at one time. Mac OS 9.2, Mac OS X,
and Windows 98SE without any rebooting or switching - Also if Windows
or OS 9.2 crashes (and they both do at times) I don't have to reboot my
computer - OS X is that rock solid - I rarely even shut my PowerBook
down - I just put it in sleep mode - travel where I need - hook up
when I need to recharge the battery and I am off and running - I
average maybe one shutdown and reboot a week usually due to adding
software updates etc.
Good luck and please feel free to contact me at kzfisher@xxxxxxxx
if you have other questions I might be able to help with.
Anyway, anyone who has the energy or whereabouts to respond, I would be
grateful.

Mimi Gauthier LeBien
(list member for many many years!)