Re: 64 or 32 bit Win 7

** Reply to message from Raphael Tennenbaum
 on Sat, 15 May 2010 10:44:42 -0400

> if you're willing to read a book or two, and know
> exactly what you want, it's a great solution

I think that the evolution of Linux in consumer areas is one of
the best things that's ever happened in computing. Maybe
turnkey Linux systems are already a reality -- I don't know --
it takes me a full day to get a Linux box running with (what I
consider to be) the bare minimum compiled configured and running
-- more if I don't know the distro.

But the success of the Mac and, to a lesser extent, Windows is
driven by one fact: that the vast majority of computer owners
know absolutely nothing. Very few want to know. Not even
curious. They certainly don't want to read a book or two.
Would you honestly recommend Linux to an entry-level person?

Why are we talking about this? I've forgotten. For me, DOS is
a Microsoft/PC product, XyWrite was developed for DOS, and that
makes 64-bit backward compatibility a Windows issue,
overwhelmingly. The Subject line says it all. Linux use of
XyWrite strikes me as a niche issue, Mac use probably has more
traction but still in a niche.

Robert Holmgren
holmgren@xxxxxxxx