Re: New driver for Hewlett-Packard DeskJet printer at XyWWWeb

On Thu, 4 Jun 1998 14:11:14 EST, Robert Holmgren wrote:

> But, hey, nobody buys a DJ for quality; we buy them because they're
>dirt cheap, and then live with the compromises. They do pretty well, everything
>considered.

I guess, but my 540 (three years old?) is dying a very noisy, slow
death. Every time I turn it on does its normal slide-klunk-buzz-klunk
and then it goes GRINDGRIND SNAP and the yellow light starts flashing.
(A couple of weeks ago it threw out a tiny little plastic bead at me, a
touching cry for help, which I ignored.) Occasionally I'll clean the
bar but this only alleviates the problem for one or two startups
afterward, so I'm leaving it on for the most part.

Any recommendations for a replacement for when this one um, takes a
very long trip? I've been thinking about the Lexmark printers since
they are even cheaper and have new OS/2 drivers (wonder what kind of
drivers I could use for Xywrite?)

Rafe T.
raphaelt@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
http://www.ray-field.com