Re: Ignorant XY-Win questions

Rene v. Rentzell:

It is hard to be helpful without some idea of the equipment you are
using. The GPF may be due, as many of mine are, to the use of QEMM or
some other memory manager. Your problem near the ends of files takes
on a different meaning if the files are generally 10K or 2MB long.
Most of the others seem linked to hardware. I would suggest appending
to any inquiry like yours a list of important hardware and software
that might be pertinent to the problem, such as

Computer     Gateway 4DX2-66V
CPU        486DX 66 mhz
RAM        16MB
HDD        420MB (two, one for backup)
Swap File     4MB; Disk & file access 32-bit
Cache       CPU 128KB; DOS disk Smartcache 2MB
CD-ROM      SONY 4x scsi
Modem       US Robotics Sportster 28.8 V.34 w\fax
Comm software   Crosstalk Communicator v. 2.10
Printer      HP Laserjet 4+
DOS        6.2
Windows      WFW 3.11 (used only for Word Perfect 6.1)
Memory Mgmt.   QEMM 8, with 634KB free low RAM

I keep this list, by the way, in my email account, so I can insert it
instantly instead of uploading it each time from my own computer.

--
Nathan Sivin
History and Sociology of Science