Re: Memory "leaks"

On Wed, 30 Oct 1996 02:35:00 -0500 (EST), Harry Binswanger wrote:

>At 11:07 PM 10/29/96 +0000, you wrote:
>>I'm going by what xywrite says right now..
>>
>>when i log in at first it says i have about 300k free.. then the next
>>time it says i have 100 free then less the next time..
>>
>>so far, the program hasn't coughed,
[deletions]

>I don't think Xy4's memory figures mean anything.

I think Harry's right. I had the same experience as Sherry when I
first used Xy4 under OS/2. I had plenty of RAM and was dismayed to
see Mem report only 30k free. After I got over the shock, I tested by
opening each additional file, Xy4 continued to show only a small
amount of memory left, but it never gagged on a file. My advice is,
before you do anything else more complicated, make a copy of large
text file and see if you can load it 9 times. In fact, I just now
tried this with a 390kb file. No problem loading it into the 8
windows remaining after the directory in window 1. And, moving around
was reasonably brisk in each file even with all the others open.

Cheers,
John G.

Dr J.L. Gordon
Department of Anthropology