Installing Xy DOS from orig. disks

I THINK I may have found a way to do this. Unfortunately, midway
through the process, which was going swimmingly until then, one of my
original Xy floppies came up unreadable. Here's what I did:

Edited config.sys to include the statement
files=30
(No spaces)
Clicked Start->Shutdown->REstart in MS-DOS Mode (obviously, this will only work in 9x; but see below for 2k/XP suggestions). When the C:\windows prompt came up, stuck the first floppy in the floppy drive (again, one must have a built-in one, not USB, unless some of the latter are DOS-readable?) and typed
a:
install
From there, as I say, everything went along nicely until I had to switch floppies. And floppy #2 was toast. Tried afterwards to recover with diskcopy and even xcopy to C: and then back again; missing sector.
I suspect that if you had a 2K or XP setup, a FAT32 partition, and a
DOS-readable floppy, you could manage this by creating (or borrowing)
a Wi9x boot floppy, remming out all the extraneous MSCDEX and other
commands, fixing the files command if it needed it, booting to 9x DOS,
and then proceeding to install to the FAT 32 partition.
--
Patricia M. Godfrey
PriscaMG@xxxxxxxx