Re: Save/Get errors

Reply to note from "Andrew J. Glass"  Fri, 02 Feb
2001 14:38:28 -0500 (EST)

> In porting my Xywrite files to a new Gateway (1.5GB, CPU, 256K
> RAM, 100GB hard disks, SCSI ), I get a persistent "out of
> memory" errors in loading the save/get module.

Andrew:

What version of XyWrite are we talking about? If a DOS version, are
you configuring your DOS sessions differently in your new system?
What does the MEM command (issued from the DOS prompt, before
starting XyWrite) report, and how does it compare to the report in
your old system?

> This only works on OS/2 by the way; in Windows 2000, the fonts
> and full screen mode render XyWrite nearly unusable.

I'm unclear. What only works in OS/2? And why is XyWrite unusable
in W2K? Isn't W2K the same as NT? I've been running Xy4 under NT
v4 for several years; except for some quirks in the NTFS file
system, it works well.

> It's been some years since I've wriiten save/gets and there
> must be a better way to write macros to individual keys.

In Xy4 and later, the U2 help file is the way to go. Virtually
unlimited storage for macros (programs) or text, with negligible
memory usage (in contrast to .SGT files, which drain memory).
Assign routines to keys or, with helper routines provided in the
Jumbo U2, launch them from the CMline. Your code remains accessible
and "open-source" (editable). The Jumbo U2 provides a ready-made
venue, and many resources, for user programming. Add your own
material at the end of the file.

--
Carl Distefano
cld@xxxxxxxx